Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Awkward Turtle Moment

So here's my awkward moment of the week. The day after Rhodes left, I thought I would just sleep in, relax, and eventually when I woke up go back on the job hunt. However, as I was lazily sleeping the morning away, I suddenly got a rap on my door, and someone's voice calling out to me, "hello? I've got a new wardrobe here for you!" Suddenly it all came back to me--my landlord had told me that he was going to order me a new wardrobe, and it should arrive sometime within the week, although he didn't know what day for sure--but here it was.
So I quickly jumped up from my bed, yelled out, "Just a moment please!" and hurriedly threw on some clothes and threw my bed together so it wasn't quite so obvious that I had just woken up (somehow I don't think I was so successful in my illusion!). I let him in, and this young man, barely covering up his laughter at my obvious discomposure, brought in the large box--notice a box, not wardrobe, becuase he still had to assemble it!
So as he put it all together over the next twenty minutes or so, I awkwardly tried to make myself useful. You see, as much as I really do love my flat, when there is more than one person inside, there's really no getting away, and as I was still half in my pajamas, I couldn't exactly go outside like I was going to run some errands! So there I sat, thinking only how awkward this whole thing was, and at last, he finished.
And with a smile (still obviously covering up all out laughter) he said goodbye and took his things to go. As soon as he left however, I must confess that I also threw myself down on the couch and started laughing--what else was there to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Corinne my dear!

I love you awkward moments. If I could hop on a plane for Cambridge I would. I'm here in New York City and am having all kinds of enlightening experiences.

Love you! Happy travels! Amy