Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I think I'm in with the kids

So, for all of y'all who are getting this fairly depressing view of my student teaching, I thought I would fill you in a bit. For the past 2 1/2 weeks I've been teaching a sixth grade language arts class. I have 78 students in 5 classes, with 2 para-pro's, 1 cooperating teacher, and 1 traditional teacher. 3 of the classes are inclusion classes, which means there are kids with a range of disabilities in the class (thus the additional adults in the classroom). These are sixth graders, so of course they're nuts...pretty much all the time.
But here's the thing...I like these kids, and I mean, I really like these kids. Am I overwhelmed by how much I have to do in the next 5 weeks...oh yes. But are these kids worth it...oh yes.
It was today, though, that I realized I somehow made it in with them too, when they asked, "Ms. Chapell, you're going to be our Language Arts teacher next year, right? Please!"

No comments: